Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sundays



Today is Sunday. Today is also my favorite day of the week.
President Thomas S. Monson will be speaking at a CES Fireside tonight. I am very excited to hear him speak - he has such sincerity, power and truth in his voice; when he speaks I can feel the Spirit.
The Fireside will be broadcast at many locations around where I live. Someone I know reminded me that it will also be on TV and that I could simply watch it at home. I thought about for a second, and quickly decided that I was not going to do that. Despite the very low temperatures outside and the chances of snow, I am going to brave the walk to one of the locations tonight. If I had a car, I would be well on my way to Provo to catch a seat in the Marriot Center and see the Prophet and have the blessing of being in the same room as him.
I have been to General Conference and the 1st Presidency Christmas Devotional before...both were amazing experiences. Right when the Prophet entered, silence filled the center and all people stood up. Each time was a humbling experience and very touching. It is strange to think that people around the world stand up and applaud singers, performers and celebrities, when we as Latter-Day Saints stand up for a man who is viewed by others as ordinary. We give him no applause for what he does, but in our hearts, I am sure that there is a sense of gratitude and love that is more than any applause could give any other man.
I am so grateful that we have a Prophet on this earth and that he makes time for us - he shows us that he loves us, and also that we are loved by our Heavenly Father. The last time I heard him speak, he spoke of making room for Christ in our lives,


"Before we can successfully undertake a personal search for Jesus, we must first prepare time for Him in our lives and room for Him in our hearts. In these busy days there are many who have time for golf, shopping, work, or play—but no time for Christ. Lovely homes dot the land and provide rooms for eating, rooms for sleeping, playrooms, sewing rooms, television rooms, but no room for Christ. 'And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn' (Luke 2:7). No room. No room. No room. Ever has it been."

Hearing the Prophet speak these words really made an impression in my heart. I have made it a goal to make more room for Christ in my life and always. I know that if I do I will always be blessed with His spirit - a gift that is truly something to smile about.

1 comment:

Amb & Dev said...

Good start Jenny Lou who! yeah for blogs!!! Love ya