Saturday, September 19, 2009

in the future kids will be...partially illiterate?

lit·er·ate
1 a : educated, cultured b : able to read and write

This has got me thinking:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090919/ap_on_re_us/us_cursive_angst


Cursive.
Cursive is elegant and refined. You use it to write your signature. Personally, I find that people older than me have much more beautiful and perfected cursive than do I. And to be truthfully honest, I myself don't write in cursive much. I don't write in cursive for the good of others; my cursive isn't the prettiest or that legible. Maybe I should practice. The sad part is that like this story, I too only learned and practiced cursive in the 3rd grade. That was it! That was...umm...let's think...about 13 years ago! Wowza! That's pretty sad, I have to admit.
Oh anyway, the point is, I know how to write in cursive, and I can if I need to.
I understand that technology is advancing. I understand the computer is used for so many various reasons and it is wonderful! BUT: Now most colleges use the internet to turn in practically every assignment, to take tests and quizzes online. So many teenagers are constantly texting as if their air supply was somehow attached. Hand written letters seem to be extinct. And some may question the need behind libraries when they can just question Google about everything. Paraphrasing Elder Holland and what he once said about the new times, "There are two eras: B.G. and A.G.; Before Google and After Google!" How funny and true that is!
I wonder if the new ideas of only using hand written forms of communication to be used only in personal matters (in the future, of course), will result in children growing up not really knowing how to write, and if they do, what about writing well? I don't have the neatest hand writing, but, still, I'm sure you've seen some writing that literally has to be a form of chicken scratch! This article really makes me despise computers and technology a bit...If children grow up not practicing hand writing as much, and especially cursive, how will they sign their names?! Ha!...it truly is leading the path to having our retinas scanned or something...! Ha!

...and here I am writing a post on a blog...!
Is that hypocritical? I'm not really sure.

No comments: