Sunday, October 10, 2010

Wise Words

General Conference was just last weekend. I remember when I was younger each session felt like hours. I also remember when I was about 12, my best friend Mary and I decided to take notes during Conference. I cannot even tell you how many pages of notes I had from that one weekend, just 4 Sessions. It was amazing. There was so much going on and so much wise council and advice, I just wanted to hear more. I remember we talked about how amazing that Conference was after it was over.
Now every year Conference seems to fly by and never seems long enough. But I always make sure I've got pen and paper to write down the words from the Prophet and Apostles and other General Authorities. It's neat to realize what words and phrases and feelings seem so specifically directed towards you and your life, your feelings, circumstances, experiences, etc.
A girl in my old singles ward, a convert, once spoke about her first experience going to General Conference. She said it was great, that there were so many people there and it was neat to sing the hymns with the whole congregation. But she said she still just 'didn't get it' and what was so special about Conference or why we do it twice a year. But then, she said that the Prophet got up to speak. And right when he did, she felt as if she was the only one in the whole room, and that he was speaking to her, and her alone. She said she felt the Spirit so strongly. I remember just thinking about how the Prophet really is the mouthpiece of the Lord. Just like this girl felt hearing the Prophet speak, we can feel about the Lord speaking to us in our lives, whether it be through others, the scriptures, an experience, the Spirit, and so many more things...

One of my new favorite scriptures is D&C 18:34-36. It says:

"These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man;
"For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; save it were by my power you could not have them;
"Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words."


***

It's been raining a lot lately, and I've been loving it. Rain really does give such a purifying feeling, such a cleansing feeling. It's been so neat to look at the mountains every day and see the leaves on all the trees perched high atop its edges change colors. I love Autumn. I'm planning on driving up the canyon soon and taking photographs galore.

No comments: