Sunday, November 14, 2010

Petition for Snow! And other thinkings.

Really now, Weather Dear, where is the snow that you've been withholding? Now, I daresay that it's been a bit overdue, but at the same time, please don't make up for it all in the first real snow. Just a little bit to stick on the ground would be great!

***

The other day as I was walking into work, a guy came walking towards the door about the same time. I was definitely a few paces ahead of him, but sure enough, as I got a bit closer to the entrance, I noticed him speeding up and stepping a bit quicker. "No," I thought, "he is definitely not speeding up. He wouldn't be doing that to open the door for me!" His pace sped up a bit more, and a bit out of curiosity, I sped mine up to see what would happen. Sure enough, he made the effort to hurry and did a little bit of a half-jog half-dash to the door when I came to about a few feet in front of it, and he opened the door for me. I said thank you and hurried on towards the stairs, while he went to the elevator. Once I got into the stairwell I just grinned and had a little laugh. As silly as it all sounds, it really did make my morning a bit brighter.

***

Today I went to my cousin's ward because he will be going to the MTC on Wednesday...! I can't believe that he is already 19 and off to serve a mission. He's a few years younger than I am, but man all of that time sure flew by fast! I'm excited to write him and support him these next 24 months.



Therefore, today was also like a mini-reunion for me and some of my family on my mom's side. I got to see my grandma and 3 aunts and uncles and a lot of cousins. I love family. Every time we're together I always wonder why we haven't gotten together sooner than just right then. I definitely always try to make it a goal to make the time to drive up to see them more often - it's always great times to be around those close to you.
Which also leads to this good news: my parents are moving to Utah. Before the end of the year...which crazily enough is in less than 2 months. How did this happen?! Honestly, where has the time gone, people?! I really don't know. But...tangent...it will be nice to have them closer and I'm sure that they'll enjoy Utah a bit more than Vegas. Who wouldn't?! haha Better weather, not as 'sketchy', so to say, and closer to family. All in all, good things to come up North!






***

Sometimes I really get down on myself about how I need to better learn patience. And then find myself impatient that I'm not patient! haha, ok that was a bit of a joke! But, I really do find it interesting how patience is such an important key of life, life's lessons and just understanding so many things so much better, and even understanding yourself and true wants better. I know it's a pretty basic thing, but after thinking about it for some time, I've realized that there's a lot more to patience than what you think about it upfront. Generally most people understand that patience really is a virtue. And it is. It's a great skill to have down and a great characteristic in any person. Patience can help us realize the difference between wants and needs. Patience can help us wait for the right thing to come along. And patience can also help in realizing our blessings and being humble enough to see them along tough trails. But patience can also be something that is necessary, sometimes, purely because of obedience and faith. Sometimes patience is solely a lesson. And sometimes, I find it so neat and intriguing that, patience may be solely for obedience and faith as a lesson during one period of time in your life, and years down the road will be the answer to something else entirely different. This is basic as well, that you learn something at one point and it's useful during another point later on. But sometimes the way patience does this is so complex and simple at the same time that it just is unmistakably divine and purposeful.
A couple of Sundays ago there was a CES Fireside. One of the things that Elder M. Russell Ballard, who spoke, said that really got me thinking more about patience was this:

"Are you giving the Lord equal time?"

Hmm...definitely made me pause and think about the time I was giving the Lord and if it was equal and fair, and faithful.

You hear it said so many times that things are on the Lord's timetable and that the Lord has His own plan for us. I've been able to think about this a lot lately and look at things in my life that point back to this principle. One thing that changed in my life recently from something good to something better was definitely not on my own timing, but the Lord's. It took about a year for something to change/a prayer to be answered, and I know that I was doing my part, but that it just wasn't the right time yet. Yes, there were definitely days that were painful and I felt like I just didn't want to do that certain thing anymore. I'd try to do more of my part and would find great potential answers to change my circumstance, but it just didn't feel right and I had to let go of that option, which wasn't easy. But somehow during those times, I felt comforted and was able to wait. And waiting was worth it because now things have changed and I am so grateful I waited. Things like this always make me stand back and realize that the Lord's plan is much better, far more perfect to my life and needs than I could have ever imagined for myself.

What a great thing it is that even though sometimes having patience, or exercising it, can be tough, we can still rely on the Lord through prayer and faith that something will come along, change, be answered, etc. It's great knowing that we have access to such great, Divine comfort and solace during all the tumultuous times that happen not only in the world, but sometimes in our very own lives. Prayer and the words of the Lord and His servants are such wonderful things!

4 comments:

Lyd said...

The "are you giving the Lord equal time" comment definitely made me think as well. I think of it almost everyday and I believe it is great thing to think about. I know it has been said before, but the way he said it made the wheels turn.

Oh patience. I love it. At times it may be a little frustrating waiting for what you want/need, but the blessings and answers that come from being patient totally outweigh those frustrating times. Perhaps like how I almost finished one major and then finally had the confirmation that it wasn't right after all that time. But hey, it's paid off and I know there are blessings coming from what I have gone though.

The thing I have learned about patience is that you have to have the right mindset, if you don't, then things will be much harder. It's taken me a while to get this frame of mind but once I got it, man, it makes a world of difference. :)

c.j. said...

Lydia! Thanks for your comment. Yes, the way he said it definitely had a different feel to it and just started some different, extra thoughts inside my mind.
I can specifically remember moments when my mindset changed and it really does make a great difference! It's then in those moments, as well, that it's just undeniable that what you're doing is right - you just feel so much more at ease.

Katy said...

Moving to Utah?! Where in Utah? (That was a dumb question).

c.j. said...

Haha not really a dumb question at all! They were going to move last year, but things just didn't come through. They will be moving to Spanish Fork. Just put in the insulation today!