Monday, January 11, 2010

'Twil Safely Guide Us Through



I walked up the steps to my front door, I pulled out my keys
and switched off the light.
I opened the door and was amazed at the
unrecognizable darkness that seemed to have stayed from the night.
It wasn't too dark, but there wasn't as much light
as there usually had been most mornings at that time.

I got in my car and quickly started the engine.
Music began playing and my mood picked up.
I started the drive
and quickly grabbed my gloves to keep my fingers
from touching the icy cold steering wheel. Brr!
A few turns. A stop or two. Twenty-five miles per hour seemed like zero.
Yet there I was at the stop light waiting to turn left
and enter the freeway.
Green!

I accelerated up to 65 and I was off
and amidst the other racers of the time crunch till 8 group...!
I passed exit 272, then 273...
then I passed a cloud.
And another.
And another.
And soon I was in a sea of white.
No snow.
No moisture clinging to my window or car.
Just pure white thickness
that seemed to somehow overshadow everything
without making it dark.
I turned off the music.
And just

slowed

down.

I kept my eyes on the lines dotting the road.
It was the only thing I could see clearly enough to guide me.
I couldn't rely on the other cars,
who, for some reason,
decided that speeding was still ok
despite the fog.

So I kept my eye on the white lines.
I glanced up every few seconds,
but I couldn't really see much.
Suddenly my exit came: 275.
All off the sudden I could see lights
shining and lighting the way.
There must have been about 2 dozen, or more!
They seemed to just rise and appear out of the thickness.
Their glow seemed extra bright in contrast to the
fog that had settled with no apparent
sign of vacating.
But the lampposts stood even more firm,
more solid,
more sure.

I followed them.
And as I did,
I felt as if I really was
following
something
or someone.
I felt like I could reach out
and feel the iron rod
just inches away from my grasp.

This morning gave me much insight and thoughts to ponder.
What a neat lesson to be taught!


While on our journey here below,
Beneath temptation's pow'r,
Through mists of darkness we must go,
In peril ev'ry hour.

And when temptation's pow'r is nigh,
Our pathway clouded o'er,
Upon the rod we can rely,
And heaven's aid implore.

1 comment:

Nyssa said...

wow! That is pretty cool! I wish I could have been there to see it..not the scary fog part, but the guiding lights part